What is Spiritual Direction?
Spiritual Direction is a one-on-one sacred practice anchored in biblical theology and thousands of years of tradition. The real “director” in Spiritual Direction is God, while I am more of a facilitator, pointing to God’s activity on your behalf. We all need someone with whom we can be completely honest, without fear of judgment, who at the same time, will be completely honest with us. My role as a spiritual director is to be a “soul friend,” someone who is “with” you in your circumstances, “for” your best, encouraging the Spirit “in” you, and calling you “up” towards God.
What does the Spiritual Direction Process Look Like?
The process helps you discover and respond to God’s presence and activity in your life whatever the circumstances may be. It invites you into a deeper and more authentic relationship with God, self, and others, by stripping away that which encumbers, and releasing what God intended. In the process, you will gain insight into what God is doing in and through you, and likely, intends for you going forward.
This process involves intentional, authentic conversation aimed at getting beneath the surface, below the water line of your everyday life, and into the inner workings of your soul. We keep seven questions before us as we explore what the Spirit is doing:
- Who is God? Is how you relate to self and others revealing or hindering this?
- What is God up to? How are you advancing or hindering the plot of the story?
- Who are you as a gendered image bearer, and how are you telling the story accordingly?
- What’s gone wrong? What counterfeit story has entered that seems right to you due to the human affinity with self-centeredness?
- What has God done to reverse that? How can the story you are telling be reframed to reveal the True Story in your life…to reveal the True Self?
- How is the Spirit moving today in your life?
- How do we join the Spirit’s movement, joining together in what God is doing?
I operate under the assumption that God has always been at work calling & shaping you, and continues to do so with a purpose in mind; namely that you become all that you were created to be, and as Irenaeus (c. 210) said, “fully alive.”
Who is Spiritual Direction For?
People like you; people seeking a deeper relationship with God, self, and others. Ongoing work with a spiritual director can help you develop a sense of inner peace, direction and purpose.
When Should I Seek Spiritual Direction?
There could be many times to seek Spiritual Direction, but here are a few common ones:
- When the way you experience God changes, positively or negatively.
- When you find yourself needing spiritual discernment.
- When you need help finding clarity in God’s calling.
- When life circumstances challenge your faith and you need to stay grounded.
- When you feel off-track, or spiritually dry, and need someone to walk with you until you find life again.
- When you recognize that your self-worth must come from something other than what you can do, have, or the high opinion of others.
- When it is hard to forgive or feel forgiven.
- When you are wrestling with theological questions.
- When you want to more fully integrate your faith into all of the domains of your life.
- When you are seeking to love your neighbor as yourself; the way God loves you.
- When you want to grow more deeply in your spiritual disciplines (prayer, meditation, study, service, etc.), calling, vocation, or ministry.
- When you decide, like many have throughout the centuries, this kind of ongoing relationship is necessary in order to grow and stay spiritually healthy.
What Happens in A Session?
The session begins in silent prayer, followed by sharing what is going on in your life. Together we explore where God is present and what God’s invitation to you may be.
Specifically, during the appointment, I will ask you the type of questions that will help you discover what is going on inside. I will listen to what you say, what you are trying to say, and what you are not saying, while also listening to God. God has prepared good works for you to do in advance (Eph 2:10) and my job is to help direct you towards that while encouraging you to pursue it in a manner that fully expresses your unique identity, God’s gift of you to the world.
What Are Your Qualifications?
I am a Certified Spiritual Director (CSD) through Larry Crabb’s NewWay Ministries School of Spiritual Direction. In addition, I hold an MDIV degree, am an ordained minister, and served in full-time pastoral ministry for more than a decade, logging hundreds of soul-care hours.
What’s the Difference Between Christian Life Coaching and Spiritual Direction?
That’s a great question, and a very common one. Check out this blog post for more information on how the two processes are related and which would be best for you: The Difference Between Christian Life Coaching & Spiritual Direction